The root chakra is located at the base of the spine, and it is associated with the element of earth. This chakra is responsible for our sense of safety and security, and it is linked to our survival instincts. When this chakra is in balance, we feel confident and grounded. We are able to weather life’s storms and feel a sense of stability in our lives.
When the root chakra is out of balance, we may feel anxious or unsettled. We may have difficulty concentrating or feeling grounded. Physical symptoms can include problems with the feet, legs, and lower back.
Below are steps for a root chakra meditation:
BEFORE YOU START: Choose a time when you can relax and meditate. You may want to set the mood by using oils, candles, or incense in the color of the chakra. Find a comfortable place where you can sit or lie down without being disturbed.
1. Breathe in and out through your nose slowly.
2. Starting with your feet, tense each group of muscles until you reach your head. Sink into the floor or chair, relaxing your muscles as you go.
3. Imagine yourself surrounded by an idyllic landscape. You feel secure and content in this peaceful place.
4. Who are the people that you share this happy place with? Acknowledge each one. Visualize their love as a warm, red-golden light that fills your entire body with happiness.
5. Visualize your inner mother looking out for you protectively. Her smile makes you feel happy and comfortable like you are being hugged by a soft blanket. She will never let you down. She is part of you and will always be there for you.
6. Connecting with your inner mother. Embrace, show affection, or simply walk arm in arm while taking in the calming feeling. Get to know each other. Enjoy the sensation of re-acquaintance and trust …
7. When she hands you the present, take a close look at it. Thank your mother for her gift and tell her that you will cherish it always. It is yours to keep as a reminder that you are never alone and that you always have the strength within yourself to overcome anything.
8. As you hold your gift, allow the energy of your inner mother’s love to flow into your Root Chakra. Envision this chakra as a four-petaled lotus rotating in time like a wheel.
9. Focus on the smooth motion of your chakra and the warm, red glow that fills your body. Let it flow down your legs to connect you with the Earth.
10. Enjoy the reassuring sensation of being grounded, secured, and stable before opening your eyes.
The root chakra is responsible for our sense of safety and security, and it is linked to our survival
When the root chakra is out of balance, we may feel anxious or unsettled. We may have difficulty concentrating or feeling grounded. Physical symptoms can include problems with the feet, legs, and lower back. By practicing the steps for a root chakra meditation regularly, you can help bring your own energy system back into balance. As you do so, you may find that you feel more secure and stable in your day-to-day life.